Re: egcs-1.1.2 status

  In message <14054.19556.843119.123905@exept.exept.de>you write:
  > I second this.  In fact, this is something "autoconf/automake" should
  > provide by default; currently every package builder (rpm, dpkg, ...)
  > has to identify all absolute pathnames in the various Makefiles and
  > needs to find a way to prefix them with an installation prefix.
  >
  > If we would have such feature, we could just do (for egcs):
  >
  > $ .../configure --prefix=/usr --install-prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT ...
  > $ make bootstrap
  > $ make install
  >
  > No more need to bother with locating all those pathnames...
  >
  > If nobody abjects against such a feature, I'll put it on my TODO list
  > for egcs-1.2. OK?
Not for egcs-1.2, please.  Post egcs-1.2 as part of the configure/make
rewrite.

Note there should be one and only one absolute pathname --enable-cpp=<blah>.

This is necessary because the typical location of cpp used by imake and
friends is via /lib, which is outside of $prefix.

I'd really prefer not to ever write outside of $prefix, but I didn't see a
good solution in this case.

Remember, one has to ask for the cpp wrapper explicitly, furthermore, one
has to ask for it to be installed outside of $prefix explicitly too.  One
could use:

configure <blah> --prefix=/usr --enable-cpp=<some-install-prefix-path>/lib

Which will do what packaging folks want/need.

jeff