Re: iostream standard libraries

> I'm trying to use istream::failure, and as far as I can tell, it just ain't
> there in the libraries provided with egcs. Have I overlooked something?

You didn't actually look at the sources, did you? On my installation,
streambuf.h has

#ifdef _IO_THROW
    class failure : public xmsg {
        ios* _stream;
      public:
        failure(ios* stream) { _stream = stream; }
        failure(string cause, ios* stream) { _stream = stream; }
        ios* rdios() const { return _stream; }
    };
#endif

So it is there, it is just not enabled. Dunno why not.

> If not, does anyone have suggestions for other freely available
> standard library implementations that will work with egcs?

There is a reimplementation of libstdc++ under development. Please see
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/ for details.

Hope this helps,
Martin