Template Repository Question

Please excuse me if this is obvious but I'm trying to get a handle on how
the template repositories work. I understand that the .rpo files are built
and at link time collect2 investigates them and recompiles and relinks as
necessary to instantiate all the required templates. But how, if at all, can
this work for any libraries that you might be including that use templates?
Are you stuck making the libraries explicitly instantiate any templates that
are used? It seems like this would be the case but any insights would
appreciated.