Re: Stabilization status

> I agree that this is highly desirable. Just, which should be the base
> format? texi or HTML?

HTML is not a suitable source format for GNU manuals or non-trivial
documents.  (It is of course an important *distribution* format.)

At some point, we should switch to the Docbook DTD for SGML (and the XML
variant).  Maybe after SGMLtools 1.0 is released and common on Linux/GNU
distributions, since then it should be quite easy for people to install
and use it.  (It would also be desirable to have a texinfo->docbook
conversion program, as well as a docbook->info backend.)

Projects that already use Docbook include Gnome, eCos (Cygnus's
RTOS), and the Linux Docuemntation project.

Until we are ready to switch to Docbook, we should stick to texinfo.
(It doesn't have to be a complate change.  For example, it may make
sense to use Docbook for new documents initially.)

	--Per