Re: BuildError f/g77.info

  In message <19990218201543.29649.qmail@deer>you write:
  > I can't find anything about what start.encap does, except for a
  > one-liner in gcc/Makefile.in, which I interpret to mean the
  > above change is rather inappropriate.
start.encap is historical (and should be put on the to-kill list).  I believe
it was meant to deal with systems where we had to convert libraries from
one object format to another.  hpux7 or hpux8 on the m68ks was probably the
last system that needed this braindamage (and since then I think the GNU
tools have been extended to handle HP's one of a kind a.out variant).

[ snip ]
  > P.S. One of the reasons I've been given to not build *anything* during the
  > `make install' that follows the `make ...' used to build is that,
  > sometimes, `make install' is done via local root from an NFS directory
  > that resulted from a user build but to which local root has no
  > write access.  I've gone through, probably, two or three cycles
  > of fixing and then, later, accidentally breaking this in g77 over
  > the years.  It'd be nice to get it right in egcs.
Agreed.  I've always been of the opinion that "make install" should strictly
be copying files from the build directory to their ultimate destinations.

jeff