installed egcs-1.1

Hi,

Installation did not go without problems.  Stage1 built fine using gcc-
2.8.1.  When it tried to build Stage2 the linking of cc1 failed.  The
reason was this.  Due to my particular configuration the following
sources were empty:
        c-pragma.c
        dwarfout.c
        reg-stack.c
        reorg.c
        xcoffout.c

When gcc-2.8.1 compiles these it produces objects with the following
symbols in them:
        __gnu_compiled_c
        gcc2_compiled.

But when the egcs compiler is used no symbols are produced.  This causes
the DEC ld to exit with an error.  Personally, I think this is more of a
problem with the DEC ld.  I got round the problem by always using the
gcc-2.8.1 versions of the objects in all stages.

The reason I'm using the DEC ld and not gld is because I'm using the DEC
C libraries which don't work with gld because for the DEC C libraries to
link correctly a couple of symbols ( like DYNAMIC_LINK ) need to be
defined, which the DEC ld seems to do by itself (weird).

As I said earlier I'm not sure whether it is a rule that all objects
must have at least one symbol in them and whether this is a problem with
the egcs compiler but I thought you would like to know anyway.

Take care.

Mike.

OSF1 verdi V4.0 564 alpha
egcs configured with
   --prefix=/usr/xlocal --with-gnu-as

config.guess gave
    alpha-dec-osf4.0b

stage1 built with gcc 2.8.1

Once built 'gcc -v' gave
gcc version egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release)

The opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of NATS or the opinions of my colleagues.

Mike Reed               Tel:   +44 (0) 171 832 5211
NATS Ltd                Fax:   +44 (0) 171 832 5658
CAA House, K4G5      e-mail: M.Reed@rd4-nats.demon.co.uk
45-59 Kingsway
London WC2B 6TE
United Kingdom