Re: Wanted: ETA for working friendly template support in EGCS.

On Tue, 02 Feb 1999 19:37:58 -0500, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>I'm repeatedly assured that when either
>a) an x86 GCC comes out that supports an image format more flexible
>   than the benighted COFF or
>b) a working, robust, reliable, and transparent hack to make template
>   instantiation work without missing and duplicate symbols is put
>   into a COFF-using GCC
>it will be an egcs and it will come from here.
>
>So, does anyone have an estimate on when such a thing will be available? (I
>understand that only an estimate can reaonably be expected, not an exact
>day, minute, and microsecond.)

GCC (not just egcs) already supports x86 image formats other than COFF: a.out
(several variants), ELF, ROSE, etc.  If your operating system doesn't
support anything other than COFF, there are these things called `Linux' and
`FreeBSD' that you may be interested in.

In fact, on ELF systems, we do have better template instantiation.  It still
isn't perfect.  There are people working on it, but the best time estimate
is "eventually".  You could speed things up by contributing code, kibitzing
over other people's code, testing other people's code, describing in detail
why what we have is inadequate and what you would like it to do, etc. etc.

zw