Re: mutex in frame code

On Mon, 01 Feb 1999 13:16:28 -0500, David Edelsohn wrote:
>	The POWER and PowerPC architecture do not describe a nested set
>which is exactly what is assumed by this entire -march= discussion.  You
>and Richard and others are relying on the fact that -march=X is a complete
>subset of -march=X+1.  On POWER and PowerPC that is not the case.
>
>	The POWER and PowerPC architectures implement a number of features
>such as POWER/2 extensions, PowerPC general-purpose extensions, PowerPC
>graphics extensions, presence of floating-point, etc.  Specifying which
>combinarion of extensions is specified by processor -- CPU -- not by
>architecture.  Using the option -march= but specifying CPU is confusing
>and incorrect.

Any number of CPU implementations may implement the same set of
extensions, yesno?  And they might have different cache / scheduling
characteristics?

It seems to me that -march=<list of extensions> would be appropriate,
perhaps with aliases for common sets.  -mtune can specify cache and
scheduling parameters, and -mcpu select both.

zw