Re: autoconf between stages. was: java fails to build

  In message <199901301841.NAA00406@caip.rutgers.edu>you write:

  > 	I don't think kenner added it explicitly.  I believe the
  > `inline' test is a by-product of the intl stuff.  In aclocal.m4, the
  > AM_GNU_GETTEXT macro does AC_REQUIRE([AC_C_INLINE]) which calls the test
  > for the inline keyword, iff it hasn't been run already.
Quite possible.

  > 	Forgive me for saying so, but the approach below is completely
  > wrong.  The file config.in is a generated file.  If you remove the line
  > handling `inline' from config.in, it'll be reinserted the next time
  > someone patches configure.in and runs autoheader.
Yup.  I doubt he was suggesting it be included as-is.

  > 	IMHO we need to do exactly what I said in my last message, which
  > is to test for inline for the stage1 compiler and assume gcc has it for
  > stage2 and later.  Give me a little time and I'll work something out
  > hopefully today or tomorrow and create a patch.
Let's look for a reasonably simple solution to get us through to egcs-1.2,
then plan on ripping the build procedure apart and reimplementing it from
the ground up between egcs-1.2 and egcs-1.3.

As Robert mentioned privately (and I agree) we've got hacks on top of hacks,
on top of workarounds, etc.  I'm not really prepared to rip apart the build
tree yet, so another hack to hold us over a little while, then we sit down
and do it right (and likely break the tree for a while in the process).

jeff