Re: egcs1.1.1 on m88k-motorola-sysv4

On Fri, 22 January 1999, 16:53:47, ford@vss.fsi.com wrote:

 > I compiled and installed egcs1.1.1 on m88k-motorola-sysv4 with only one
 > major glitch in the bootstrap.  It seems motorola defines gettimeofday()
 > with only 1 argument unless you are using the bsd compatible compiler
 > (#ifdef __BSD__).  After I fixed this problem in a couple of places, the
 > bootstrap went fine.
 >
 > Compiling a simple hello world app works fine, but in a larger program, I
 > get:
 >  __builtin_saveregs2                 /var/tmp/cca002Ut1.o
 >  __builtin_argsize                   /var/tmp/cca002Ut1.o
 >  __builtin_argptr                    /var/tmp/cca002Ut1.o
 >
 > I'll try to narrow down what exactly is causing this, but it looks like
 > some functions that are supposed to be in libgcc.a didn't make it in.
 >
 > If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.  Thanks.

I'm afraid, they are caused by some include files Motorola is shipping
in /usr/include for "var/stdarg"s.  Searching gcc's sources for "saveregs2"
doesn't show any obvious locations.  I'd bet, if you would call

  $ find /usr/include -type f -print | xargs grep saveregs2

grep *will* at least list /usr/include/stdarg.h and /usr/include/varargs.h

I'd suggest you'll analyze, how the include files on your particular
system are treated by "fixincludes"; then you can peek at "gcc/fixinc.dgux"
which contains some fixes for similar problems with varargs vs. stdarg vs.
gcc.  Perhaps, this will give you some insight, how to fix your particular
problem.

 > --
 > Brian Ford
 > Software Engineer
 > Vital Visual Simulation Systems
 > FlightSafety International
 > Phone: 314-551-8460
 > Fax:   314-551-8444

Later,
manfred

--
 Manfred Hollstein       If you have any questions about GNU software:
 Hindenburgstr. 13/1                   <mailto:manfred@s-direktnet.de>