Question for Todd Vierling, Jul 1998 change ?

Sorry for the network bandwidth... I tried reaching Todd Vierling directly
for several weeks now, but for some reason, I did not get any answer...
I assume there must be a technical email problem somewhere...

I also checked the netbsd toolchain mailing list around that period without
being able to find a clue.

I am trying to reach Todd Vierling about a configuration change
for egcs netbsd that was logged under his name:

Wed Jul 29 23:49:23 1998  Todd Vierling <tv@netbsd.org>

   * configure.in: Use xm-netbsd.h as the NetBSD xm file (not xm-siglist).
   Accept arm32 as arm, m68k4k as m68k, mipsle as mips-dec, and any
   manufacturer id for ns32k.
   * configure: Regenerated.
   * config/netbsd.h: When using ASM_WEAKEN_LABEL, make it global too.
   * config/t-netbsd: Don't compile libgcc1-test as the fns are in libc.
   * config/i386/netbsd.h: Undefine DWARF2_UNWIND_INFO, not define as 0.
   * config/m68k/netbsd.h: Same.
   * config/ns32k/netbsd.h: Same.
   * config/sparc/netbsd.h: Same.

The part I'm wondering about is
   * config/netbsd.h: When using ASM_WEAKEN_LABEL, make it global too.

as far as I can tell, netbsd only uses binutils flavors where
.weak & .globl are mutually disjunctive properties...

So I really want to know what prompted that change. I assume there is
some weird configuration where things fail atrociously when not having
this .globl present, and I would like to check whether this also affects
OpenBSD or not.

--
	Marc Espie