Call Stack (Reflection)

  Hi,

 I'd like to have some information/examples of accessing the debugging/
profiling data produced by gcc within the program itself. I'm interested
in writing code that prints a back trace of cleartext function names,
like gdb does. The general idea is, in C++, to overload the new and
delete operators, and to associate each chunk of memory with a back
trace, to check for memory leakage.
 After browsing libgcc2.c, it seems that there are already hooks that
generate the necessary information. But from reading the source, I
don't know how to activate, use or evaluate it. In a simple test program,
compiled and linked with -a -pg -g (linux-glibc1), __bb.blocks is always
NULL.
 Is there some documentation, or is there some example source that
could help me? Or is there a package that already does what I intend
to do? -- I doubt I'm the first one to think of this possibility.

	Frank

--
 + Frank Pilhofer                        fp@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de  +
 |                                      http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/~fp/ |