Re: ridiculous amounts of padding

  In message <199901142216.XAA13874@quatramaran.ens.fr>you write:
  > the main offender... -Os improved the code size, -fno-gcse improved it some
  > more, relaxing constant string alignment improved almost *nothing*.
Just a note, global cse will make code larger in an attempt to make it
faster.  So this is not unexpected.

  > If someone would be interested in helping me tracking down code
  > differences, I am very interested...
I hope someone will.

  > It may well be that I'm mistaken, or that I'm missing something obvious.
  > But until someone corrects me (or I find a solution myself), OpenBSD will
  > have to stay with gcc 2.8.1 (as much as I would like a change, personally).
I'd be real suprised if in general gcc2.8 produced better code than egcs;
there may be localized issues of course, but I'd be real suprised if on a
global basis gcc-2.8 was better.

jeff