Re: Stabilization status

 > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
 >
 > I can understand the desire to not spend a lot of time on old systems
 > like this because I feel the same way about hpux9 and earlier systems.
 > However, fixing things so that the compiler "just works" on these older
 > versions of aix4.1 should be trivial and not take a lot of time.
 >
 > We just recognize the old versions and use a different x-blah file for
 > them.  Right?
 >
 > Given the potential number of these boxes that are out there and the
 > ease of detecting them and handling them cleanly, I think we should bite
 > the bullet and handle them.

	By handling them I take it you mean we add -mminimal-toc to the
bootstrap.  However I think David said this makes cc1 slower.

Thus detecting the version number of AIX might not be enough.  I think
we want to only add -mminimal-toc if their AIX version needs it _and_
they haven't installed the magic patch which fixes this.

David, is it possible to generate a C test case?  Or run some shell magic
to detect if the patch is installed and -bbigtoc works?

If we can run an autoconf test and it fails, then and only then would we
need to compile with -mminimal-toc.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			Engagement Manager / Project Services
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		Icon CMT Corp.