Re: testsuite removal

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com> writes:

 Jeff> We are going to ask for assignments for signficant tests or
 Jeff> collections of tests.  The testsuite will be treated in the
 Jeff> exact same manner as the compiler itself from a legal
 Jeff> standpoint.

That will screw reasonable ideas for Fortran tests with things with
usable copyright which aren't going to be assigned.  However, I don't
understand why we need assignments for things that aren't considered
part of the compiler, provided they're obviously redistributable.  If
so, then someone has to rewrite the g77 runtime.  Has rms changed
position on the matter?

[Precedents for unassigned stuff being distributed GNUishly that come
to mind include Lynx, Maxima and parts of Octave come to mind apart,
presumably, from BSDisms; use of Netlib stuff in Octave is probably
particularly relevant for Fortran.  I'm not advocating treating
copyrights unseriously and I understand the need for assignments,
which I chase for Emacs, but not even everything with Emacs is
assigned.]