Re: FLOATING-POINT CONSISTENCY, -FFLOAT-STORE, AND X86

In a message dated 12/18/98 4:03:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, rth@cygnus.com
writes:

<< On the contrary.  If you work with SFmode values, they'll be spilled
 in SFmode.  And XFmode reads/writes to unaligned (mod 16) addresses
 takes extra time.

How much extra time?  Is it feasible to make the XFmode spills use aligned
addresses, and would alignment be as much of an improvement as in DFmode?  The
only quantification I've seen is my test of one application indicating that
changing spills from SFmode to XFmode appears to make that application run 25%
longer on a PPro.