Re: 1.1.1, docs for libraries?? (fwd)

> The C++ standard is supposed to be pretty fixed now -- although I
> understand the committees still meet.  Given the varying degrees
> of conformance between compilers, and that people are still working
> on this, where should I be looking for documentation on the libraries
> and includes that come with egcs-1.1.1?  Looking about the WWW I find
> different flavours of the Standard Template Library for example, and I
> need to know what I actually have.

The compiler itself is now fairly close to the standard, in that almost
all major features are implemented, with one major exception: export
for templates.  (This doesn't mean that there aren't any bugs).

The library has more problems.  It is still in the global namespace, not
in std (by default, the compiler special-cases the std namespace so that
programs referring to std::cout or saying "using namespace std;" get
symbols out of the global namespace).  The iostreams classes are old,
they are not templates as the standard specifies.  And there are a
number of missing classes.

The STL implementation is the one from SGI (currently it is one release
behind SGI's latest release, version 1.2 will ship the latest SGI
release).  Excellent documentation is available at

	http://www.sgi.com/Technology/STL/

There's a TexInfo document describing the iostreams implementation in the
distribution, in libio/iostream.texi.

There's a project under way to do a new libstdc++ that conforms to the
standard.