Re: FWD: FLOATING-POINT CONSISTENCY, -FFLOAT-STORE, AND X86

Marc Lehmann writes ...

> I still don't see what the 64 bit precision idea gives us, in terms of
> performance. First, it doesn't give us full ieee, second, it kills
> performance, depending on where the rounding mode is set (before each
> assignment? resetting it to normal before each long double assignment?)

64 bit rounding is a wonderful solution .... assuming the only
floating point type you ever use is 'double'.  As such, it makes sense
as a practical user level solution, but I'm afraid it's almost useless
as a general purpose solution.

Tim Hollebeek                           | "Everything above is a true
email: tim@wfn-shop.princeton.edu       |  statement, for sufficiently