Re: strict_prototypes_lang_c

Jeff wrote:

> As long as RMS controlled the compiler, there was no hope of changing the
> treatment of trigraphs.

Note that the -ansi flag enables trigraphs; it doesn't seem too confusing
to tell users to use -ansi to get more standard behavior (though -ansi
seems a bit chauvinistic when -iso would be more meaningful to the
international community).

> That limitation is gone and I'm willing to consider turning on trigraphs by
> default if the general opinion of the egcs community is favorable.

Question: are there users out there who have trouble entering any of the
standard C characters from their keyboards, because they have a 7-bit
keyboard with a national character set that does not have, say, the { or }
characters?  I have some sympathy for RMS's position: trigraphs are an
extremely ugly solution to a problem that no longer exists.

Another question: does enabling trigraphs do any potential harm to users
that are unaware of trigraphs?  I suppose you could accidentally include
a trigraph pattern in a string without knowing it, but it seems like a
low-probability event.