Re: egcs, every configure.in should use AC_PREREQ(2.12.1) ?

  In message <199811211453.JAA24747@caip.rutgers.edu>you write:
  >  > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
  >  >
  >  >   In message <199811201815.NAA16532@caip.rutgers.edu>you write:
  >  >   > 	Would it be useful to add AC_PREREQ(2.12.1) to every
  >  >   > configure.in file?
  >  > Probably.
  >  >
  >  > I'm not sure if we actually use any 2.12.1 features, so 2.12 might be
  >  > sufficient.
  >
  > 	Well, 2.12.1 is in egcs' infrastructure directory.  Given that
  > someone (you?) went out of their way to do that, we need it for some
  > reason.  Though why that is may be forgotten... :-)
I think someone said that we needed a newer version, but that it wasn't
available anywhere.  So I just make a snapshot of the Cygnus autoconf tree.
No real thought involved. :-)

  > 	I did a diff of the ChangeLogs and included it below.  I think
  > the changes are minor.  (Perhaps the hpux9 change is the reason we
  > upgraded?  The SHELL stuff and AC_FUNC_VFORK also look useful.)
  > Anyway I'll put together a patch requiring 2.12.1.  If you feel 2.12
  > is better, I can fix that before installing it.
The hpux9 thing isn't all that important (hpux9 becomes less important every
day :-)  It only effected the cache anyway.

  > +Thu Sep  4 22:30:40 1997  Jeffrey A Law  (law@cygnus.com)
  > +
  > +	* acspecific (AC_PROC_INSTALL): Don't use installbsd on OSF..
Ah yes.  I remember something about this.  Something hokey like files being
installed with root as the owner...

I don't know the motivation behind the SHELL change and it seems the one
that's most likely to be important...

jeff