Re: How to clean up i386 machine description?

Jeffrey A Law writes:

 >   In message <199811200038.QAA27111@kankakee.wrs.com>you write:
 >   > I seem to recall reading years ago that someone (rms) wanted the
 >   > addressing modes mdized, instead of the #define they are today.  This
 >   > is an example of the type of thing that might help make things more
 >   > regular/descriptive and nice looking.
 > Interestingly enough, we have some work in this area that needs to be
 > evaluated.  Michael Hayes did it about a year or so ago.

Well not quite ;-(  I bandied this idea around a while ago when I was
starting to implement more generalised addressing modes with side
effects (souped up autoincrements).

Folks seemed to like the idea since it could be used to automate
GO_IF_LEGITIMATE_ADDRESS, but no consensus was reached about the
syntax to use.  I then got sidetracked onto other things and added
several new #defines for good measure (to support targets that only
had autoincrements on reads but not on writes, among other things...)

When the dust from the reload changes settles down I was planning to
resubmit the code I had written for improved autoincrement addressing
mode usage.

Michael.