compiling libstdc++ with -fhonor-std

On http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/26/26436.html a request was made to
compile libstdc++ with -fhonor-std as a default. I simply want to ask,
why that's not the default.

> Would this libstdc++ still be binary compatible with the one compiled
> without -fhonor-std? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not a C++
> developer. Would the compilation with -fhonor-std be conformant with
> the LCS?

No, since it changes the mangled names of all symbols in the standard
C++ library. But the C++ standard dictates all symbols in the library
must be in the std namespace, so we should use -fhonor-std anyway.
If we don't switch now we'll have to make the switch later, which might
be more painful.