Re: Extremely large string table size with egcs-2.91.57

  In message <199811062130.WAA08363@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>you write:
  > > Upon examination with 'strings -' I noticed that it seems to blowing
  > > up with templates.  Is this correct? I was under the impression that
  > > the string table contained string constants only.
  >
  > I'm not an expert on the HPUX object file format.
I am ;-)

  > However, with
  > strings -, you get all strings, including those of the symbol tables.
True.

  > Symbol tables do blow up with templates. Pure string tables (data
  > section?) do as well, to a smaller degree, due to the typeid().name()
  > results required for RTTI.
Yes.  And don't forget debug symbols.  Those will tend to dwarf everything
from a size standpoint.

Use objdump -h to get the sizes of the various sections.  It won't give
the size of the symbol/string tables or anything like that, but it will
point to huge sections like GDB_DEBUG.

  > > Also, is egcs deleting duplicate template instantiantions across
  > > object files at link time?
  >
  > Depends on the linker. The GNU linker does, if the object file format
  > supports it; I know neither whether the HPUX object file format has
  > link-once support in some sense, nor whether the GNU linker is used on
  > that platform.
gld is not used on hpux.  The HPUX linker does not have link-once support
to the best of my knowledge (if it does we certainly are not making use of
it).

jeff