Re: Q:Error building cross compiler for mips-mips-linux on Solaris.

> From law@hurl.cygnus.com Sat Oct 31 09:03 PST 1998
> To: krishm (Madhu Krishnamurthy)
> cc: egcs@cygnus.com
> Subject: Re: Q:Error building cross compiler for mips-mips-linux on
Solaris.
> Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:02:51 -0700
> From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
>

>   In message <199810310154.RAA24092@yakuza.sanjose>you write:
>   > After about 1 hour of compilation I get this message included below.
>   >
>   > Can someone please tell how I can solve this problem.
> You need a cross assembler.
> jeff

I have actually installed the binutils2.9.1 - as,ld,ranlib etc.
I created links in my build directory so that the Makefile finds them
as as-new,ld-new etc. I added a line to the Makefile to
echo AS_FOR_TARGET. From this echo I can see that the Makefile knows
AS_FOR_TARGET is as-new which is a mips assembler hosted on Sun.

But for some reason the xgcc seems to call the native sun assembler which
is the default as. [ path /usr/ccs/bin/as]. I know this from the way the
Error message is printed. The as-new from binutils will print it in
a different way.

So my feeling is xgcc is invoking the wrong assembler i.e the native
Sun assembler, instead of the mips cross assembler.

Appreciate your comments and suggestions.

madhu