Re: configure --with-as broken

On Nov  1, 1998, Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> wrote:

>   In message <orlnlxp3pu.fsf@araguaia.dcc.unicamp.br>you write:
>> --Multipart_Sat_Oct_31_05:53:17_1998-1
>>
>> Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>>
>> > 	* configure.in: Ignore non-absolute value in $AS.
>>
>> How about the attached patch to fix this problem?

> This this still needed?

> If it is, and Andreas agrees that is fixes his problem, then it is
> OK with me.

Andreas' patch avoids the problem of getting a make variable named
`AS' inadvertently propagated into DEFAULT_ASSEMBLER.  My patch does
that, and also prevents that some user that defines environment
variables AS and LD inadvertently gets them hard-coded into gcc, by
referring to environment variables DEFAULT_ASSEMBLER and
DEFAULT_LINKER.  However, it does not require a full pathname as
Andreas' patch does, but then, I'm not sure if we should really do
that.

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva@dcc.unicamp.br mailto:oliva@gnu.org mailto:aoliva@acm.org