Re: configure --with-as broken

On 29 Oct 1998 20:07:37 -200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
>> The test in configure that checks the value of $AS should be skipped when
>> it is not an absolute file name, because $AS is always set due to
>> $GCC_FLAGS_TO_PASS in the toplevel Makefile.
>
>But AS is only set as a make variable, not as an environment variable,
>so this issue does not apply.

Does the build ever refer to as or ld directly, or do we just insert
pathnames into the compiler driver?  If the latter, we could do what
glibc does:

--with-binutils=/path/to/binutils/dir

and autodetect whether it's GNU as and ld in that directory (grep the
output of foo --version).

I can come up with appropriate autoconf fragments if anyone's interested.

zw