Getting patches out of HTML archives (was Re: EGCS web pages)

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 09:31:17AM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:

>     Jason> Yeah, I did that a long time ago because I was afraid that
>     Jason> browsers would munge the patches when people saved them to
>     Jason> files.  I now see the error in my ways, we're going to be
>
> You did this at my behest, IIRC.  It *is* important that you can
> cut-and-paste patches out of the archives.

Actually, with the current mechanism, cutting-and-pasting will not work
very often.  Any time you have something that looks like an SGML element,
like "#include <stdio.h>", the browser is probably going to decide that
it doesn't know any element called <stdio.h> and it will omit that from
the output.

However, the one benefit that we gained by not HTML'ifying code is that
no matter how the user saves the file, they can run patch on it.  e.g.
they can save it as "Source" (HTML), and patch will work.  Or they can
save it as "Plain text" and have a good chance of it working correctly.

I _think_ that if we HTMLify the code, people will still be able to save
the messages as "Plain text" and apply the patches.  Maybe there would
be a little TAB/spaces confusion, but there is an option to patch to
ignore that.

> Please keep this feature,
> in some shape or form, if at all possible.  (Perhaps `click here for
> plain text version of message' or some such.)

Saving two copies of each mail message is certainly one possibility.  I
didn't see an easy way to do that with the mail archivers that I was
looking at (Mhonarc and the new hypermail 2.0 stuff that is being done).

I'll have to think about this some more, but by default I'm going to
be HTMLifying the messages if I can apply patches successfully once
they've been saved as Plain text from a browser.

Jason