Re: Egcs 1.1 and MPW?

  In message <9810231053.ZM22101@www.ldr.com>you write:
  > Anyone out there know how to compile egcs 1.1 either:
  >
  > 1) as a cross compiler, where host=i586-linux and target=powerpc-macos
  >
  > or
  >
  > 2) as an MPW tool?
  >
  > Reading through configure and config.guess, it seems like there's some
  > support for the latter, but I can't figure out how it's actually done.
egcs doesn't support mpw.

Basically Cygnus did mpw support a few years ago.  The changes made were not
something I'd ever consider putting in egcs.  They were hacks, plain and
simple.

Some were just due to strangeness of the MPW environment, others were due to
various bugs in the MPW compilers (yes, we could build native).

You'll find various bits of that work in the configury files and in a few
other random places.  We did rip out most (all?) of the changes in the compiler
itself at one point similarly for the other tools.

If someone is going to get serious about doing MPW support, I can probably
dig out some of those changes from Cygnus's cvs repository and forward them
along to get them started.

jeff