Re: Benchmark suite...

On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 01:28:22PM +0200, Jan Hubicka wrote:

> > What do you think about the idea of adding gzip/bzip2 to the test suite?
> It is one thinks I want to do today. Problem is that gzip itself
> is long. I will have to dig out deflate code and make suitable test.
> (using whole gzip or whole crafty is IMO bad, because compilation time
> would increase significantly)
> > It might also be useful to add code that currently isn't optimized as wel
> > as it could be by the compiler: e.g. tail-recursive functions.  That could
> > provide some incentive to implement better mechanisms in the compiler.
> I've done naive implementations of recursive hanoi solver and quicksort,
> wich is first of these. Especially quicksort shows VERY interesting behaviour.
> Of course I will welcome other code too.
> I also want to use dryrstoe benchmark and dig out suitable tests from byte
> benchmarks.

This will break embedded environments which don't have filesystems or I/O in
the general sense.  If this goes in, please put it under something like make
benchmark, and NOT under make check.

As a side note, hanoi, etc. are part of the Stanford benchmark suite.  It is
generally felt these are useless for today's apps.  In particular, they all fit
in the L1 cache of today's modern chips (hell, spec 92 nearly fits in the L2
cache nowadays).  Also when I was using the benchmark suite 9+ years ago to
tune the 88k compiler, I found that the system clock (which for the 88k was 100
times a second) was too coarse grained to be of any use -- one clock tick
more/less would seriously upset the timing.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA