Re: type_info::name question

> To: kunert@physik.tu-dresden.de, egcs@cygnus.com
> From: Jason Merrill <jason@cygnus.com>
> Date: 11 Oct 1998 13:12:38 -0700

> How would people feel about including the demangler in libgcc, and
> calling from type_info::name?

The only concerns I guess I have are:

kankakee bash[42] size cxxmain.o
  24349     120       4   24473    5f99 cxxmain.o

and the fact it calls malloc.  If it is only ever linked in when name
is called, it might not be too big.  Having it throw bad_alloc seems
better than xmalloc stuff, that's easy to fix.  Having sometimes throw
bad_alloc seems bad.  Also, if it allocates stuff, who deallocs?  The
Standard dones't have that interface.  Also, if it is a static buffer,
there is nothing in the standard that says the lifetime expires that
quickly.  So, I thinking the only solution would be to just put the
non demangled version in the .o file to begin with.  And if we do
that, then I worry about the total size of the .o files growing yet
some more.  Every 5% we add, is another 5% we don't get back.  :-(