Re: GCC2 merging (was "native language support now available")

> indicate when a particular piece of work was no longer experimental), then I
> strongly agree with you: that lack of volunteers was most unfortunate and has
> created the position we are now in.

Perhaps it would be beneficial if you were to take a step back from the
whole situation and ask yourself WHY there are so few volunteers to the
GCC2 project any more, and why EGCS has almost more than they would need
or want. What makes the two projects so different that the one attracts
hundreds of good technical messages a day, open, lively debate and a
program that is moving forward, while the other has traffic that seems to
be almost exclusively political. Maybe thats one reason.

Maybe (just MAYBE) another reason is that the model used by the EGCS team
works better. I cannot speak for others (as much as I'd like to speak for
R.J.L) but from my own experiences, I have had a FAR more pleasant experience
working on EGCS than I ever did working on GCC2. I am a programmer, not a
politician, and I prefer to code than bicker. It seems that it get CODE
accepted into EGCS I can 'talk tech" ... when I tried on many occasions to
get sane, sensible patches into GCC2, it was more like a begging process,
and I spent a good few days after every attempt to send a patch on the
defensive.

My $0,02 worth, the EGCS project is a big success, and the GCC2 project
is heading for failure. Instead of debating subtle little points, lets
quit the politics and contribute code. Lets make the compiler better. Which
one? EGCS. It has life.

BTW ... you can do a sed -e 's/GCC/Emacs/g' -e 's/EGCS/XEmacs/g' on the
above message and everything I said holds true. Thats two projects I have
personallyl be involved with where the more open, co-operative model works
so much better than the original GNU model. Perhaps theres a lesson in
there somehwere.

--
J. Kean Johnston  | "Every day, computers are making people easier
Engineer, SPG     |  to use" -- Source unknown.