This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [OFFTOPIC] Info files vs Man pages
- To: d dot love at dl dot ac dot uk (Dave Love), egcs at cygnus dot com
- Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Info files vs Man pages
- From: Jason Merrill <jason at cygnus dot com>
- Date: 21 Sep 1998 13:09:09 -0700
- References: <199809161525.IAA15107@atrus.synopsys.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>>>>> Dave Love <email@example.com> writes:
>>>>> "Joe" == Joe Buck <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
Joe> HTML is a bad "source language"
Joe> but it's a good language to generate from other forms.
Joe> texi2html already exists.
> But is GNU-deprecated. I gather the new makeinfo is nearing alpha
> test. I presume it will still handle the g77 manual, at least, but
> that work was emphatically not done with the idea of dumping Info at
> this juncture!
FWIW, Cygnus has been planning to move to DocBook/SGML as a source
language, at least internally. I believe the LinuxDoc folks are
moving/have moved to DocBook as well. Free SGML tools have reached
critical mass; see