Re: g77 and cpp. Single quote in comment line.

[Sorry to have gotten to this so late.]

>Kate Hedstrom wrote:
>>
>> Meanwhile, "cpp -traditional" should do the job.  This is how cpp gets
>> called if you ask g77 to do it for you (g77 foo.F).
>
>Maybe this could be mentioned in the man page for cpp? When cpp failed
>that's where I went to look for a solution, Some mention of -traditional
>being needed for .F files (or that g77 makes the call on it's own and that
>there is no need for an explicit call) would have kept me from loading up
>your mail server with this RTFM type of question.

Could you do me a favor?  Using a simple example (like the one I think
you sent earlier), compile with the `-v' (`--verbose') option, such
that the symptom (unterminated-constant diagnostic generated by cpp)
is evident.

Send the output of all the above, plus the sample file (e.g. `cat' it
into the output or whatever), to egcs-bugs.

I'd like to see it myself, and others should see it.  What I'm
looking for right now is whether `-traditional' gets passed by the
g77/gcc driver to cpp when compiling Fortran.  It's *supposed* to.
And, maybe it is, but a subsequent option (or some such thing)
disables the behavior, or maybe the wrong version of cpp gets
invoked, or something.

(I assume you're aware that the docs already explain that files ending
in .F and .FPP automatically are preprocessed.  This mechanism *should*
include passing `-traditional' to cpp.)

        tq vm, (burley)