Re: bcopy -> memcpy/memmove transition proposal

  In message <199809191507.LAA16580@contents-vnder-pressvre.mit.edu>you write:
  > > It is really ridiculous that gcc still uses the non-ANSI functions
  > > (such as bcopy), rather than the standard ANSI functions.  We all
  > > (I hope) agree this is bogus, but fixing them all is a hassle.
  >
  > I will go even further.  gcc should be written in strict ANSI C and no
  > longer attempt to support pre-ANSI compilers.
I would highly recommend against this.

Some popular systems do not provide ANSI compilers by default with
their systems.  HPUX for example.  Solaris may also be in the same
boat.

Using prototypes will prevent gcc from bootstrapping with the native
compiler on such systems.

jeff