This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [OFFTOPIC] Info files vs Man pages
- To: egcs at cygnus dot com
- Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Info files vs Man pages
- From: Dave Love <d dot love at dl dot ac dot uk>
- Date: 19 Sep 1998 19:25:50 +0100
- References: <199809161525.IAA15107@atrus.synopsys.com>
>>>>> "Joe" == Joe Buck <email@example.com> writes:
Joe> HTML is a bad "source language"
Joe> but it's a good language to generate from other forms.
That depends. In this context a relevant consideration is whether the
cross-referencing (hypertext) model of the source matches that of HTML
(`Dexter', somewhat restricted IIRC). In the case of Texinfo it
doesn't (see `texinfo -invisible'). This can lead to a degree of pain
and/or invalid HTML.
Joe> texi2html already exists.
But is GNU-deprecated. I gather the new makeinfo is nearing alpha
test. I presume it will still handle the g77 manual, at least, but
that work was emphatically not done with the idea of dumping Info at