Re: PowerPC build breakage caused by 8/25/98 loop.c change

    David> 	I don't know enough about these changes to determine
    David> what is wrong.  Mark, I would appreciate if you could find
    David> time to look into this.  I can try to provide some help and
    David> dump traces, if you want to see intermediate output.

I'd like to help.  Unfortunately, I've not got access to a PowerPC
platform.  Can you isolate which function is being miscompiled?

I doubt the AVOID_CCMODE_COPIES bit is to blame; if anything went
wrong with that code it would probably a trigger an immediate crash as
load_mems_and_recount_loop_regs_set runs.  It sounds like you're
seeing a failure further down the line, right?  But, you can easily
test that hypothesis; take your working version, and substitute just
the AVOID_CCMODE_COPIES in load_mems_and_recount_loop_regs_set.
You'll have to change `VARRAY_CHAR (may_not_optimize, i)' to
`may_not_optimize[i] = 1' since you'll not have the VARRAY stuff.  If
the resulting compiler doesn't bootstrap, then we'll know that's the
problem; otherwise, it's elsewhere.

I'll take a look at the rest, but you can too: it was a
straightforward replacement of `x[i] = j' with `VARRAY_TYPE (x, i) =
j'.  One possibility is that TYPE (which should be CHAR if the thing
was an array of chars, INT if ints, etc.) is wrong somewhere.

--
Mark Mitchell 			mark@markmitchell.com
Mark Mitchell Consulting	http://www.markmitchell.com