Re: [OFFTOPIC] Info files vs Man pages

>  > Personally I think that a html version of docs is certainly a
>  > *better* choice then the "info" file format.  What would be the
>  > correct way to get html-ized docs the prefered format for GNU
>  > packages?
> You'd have to bring this up with RMS.  This isn't a decision that the
> egcs project can make for the GNU world.

I don't think it would be difficult to get RMS and the rest of the
GNU world to accept html as a replacement for info [note I am
talking about replacing info, not texinfo], *if* if following exist:

* A program, written in C, that can translate texinfo to html,
providing most of the options and functionality of the existing makeinfo.
(texi2html is written in perl, and is therefore unsuitable for this
kind of core software.)  (I have heard rumors about people extending
makeinfo to do this, but I don't know how this is progressing.)

* A stand-alone html browser that has all or most of the
functionality of the standalone info browser (such
as searching), and that has a similar look and feel (at
least as an option).

* An emacs mode that can be used for browsing html, and
that has functionality and look and feel similar to the
existing emacs info mode.  The existing W3 mode can probably
be used as a starting-point.

It is best if all of these are or can be GPL and copyright the FSF.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner