Re: clarification requested in egcs installation

  In message <199809061408.KAA14521@europa.research.att.com>you write:
  > On http://egcs.cygnus.com/install/configure.html, you describe the
  > --with-local-prefix and --with-gxx-include-dir options, saying that their
  > use is normally not needed.  Unfortunately, the description is not quite
  > clear, at least to me.
  >
  > Do these options say that egcs should install its headers in the named
  > directories instad of the normal places, or do they say that egcs should
  > look there for the g++ header files during installation?
--with-gxx-include-dir specifies the directory where g++ header files
should be installed and where the new compiler will look for them.

--with-local-prefix is needed by very few folks.  If you don't know
what it is, then you probably don't need it :-)

  > For example, on my machine, g++ is installed in /usr/gnu instead of
  > /usr/local.  Does that mean that when I install egcs, I should say
  > --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/gnu/include ?  What about --with-local-prefix ?
  > There isn't even a /usr/local directory on this system, so what should I us  > e?
You could just use --prefix=/usr/gnu if you wanted everything to live
under /usr/gnu.

That would force the binaries, libraries, include files, etc etc to
all be installed under /usr/gnu.

jeff