Re: Sample directory structure

| I'm preparing to install egcs, and I'm confused on how to set up the
| directory structure.  An example would go a long way.

/usr/src/egcs>ls
egcs-cvs/                   report*
egcs-cvs-objdir/            update*
reconfigure*

Where `egcs-cvs/' contains the CVS download, or would
be the unpacked tar:

/usr/src/egcs>ls egcs-cvs
COPYING          config/          gcc/             ltmain.sh
COPYING.LIB      config-ml.in     include/         missing*
CVS/             config.guess*    install-sh*      mkinstalldirs*
ChangeLog        config.sub*      libf2c/          move-if-change*
INSTALL/         configure*       libiberty/       symlink-tree*
MAINTAINERS      configure.in     libio/           texinfo/
Makefile.in      contrib/         libstdc++/       xiberty/
README           etc/             ltconfig*        ylwrap*

`egcs-cvs-objdir' is a hand made directory :).

Here is the content of my `reconfigure*' script, it should make clear what
to do:

#! /bin/bash
cd egcs-cvs-objdir
env CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O9 -g -march=pentiumpro -fomit-frame-pointer" \
    CXXFLAGS="-O9 -g -march=pentiumpro -fomit-frame-pointer" \
    ../egcs-cvs/configure --prefix=/usr/local/egcs-cvs --enable-shared \
    --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
make clean

I assume you want to use another directory for the --prefix, one you
have write access to.

After this, cd into `egcs-cvs-objdir' and type: make bootstrap
You can type 'make check' if you which, or just go on with a 'make install'.
You might want to make sure you have a `gcc' in your path before running
`configure' as shown above, or else use an apropriate path for CC.

--
 Carlo Wood  <carlo@runaway.xs4all.nl>