Re: egcs-1.1 status

  In message <Pine.SOL.3.90.980824103527.1884B-100000@colt.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>you write:
  > About a year ago I submitted a patch which tries to do exactly what you are
  > proposing:
  >  * track which pseudos live in which hard registers for every insn during
  >    reload
  >  * Using this information, compute correctly which hard registers are safe
  >    to use as spill registers
  >  * spill single pseudos to free hard registers locally instead of spilling
  >    all pseudos allocated to a hard register that has been selected as spill
  >    register.
  >
  > The patch generated a lot better code on the x86, and I believe it fixed th e
  > regparm problems.  I've asked about its status a few times, but I've never
  > heard back from anyone, so I can only assume no one ever looked at it.  I'd
  > still like to work on this, but I need some feedback to tell me whether the
  > approach is valid or whether it should be done differently.
Joern and Jim both looked at your code.  I'm very disappointed that
they didn't provide you with significant constructive feedback.  I
certainly didn't even have time to think about them at the time.

If you're willing to try and work with me, I'm willing to try and work
with you on those patches.  I would also encourage other folks with
reload experience to get involved.

Note that I won't be able to do anything significant with them until
after egcs-1.1 goes out the door and I can drain some of the other
pending stuff.

Note that if I do this, I won't be able to look at some other stuff
for a while -- for example working on the double alignment issues
for the x86 or helping the ppc or pascal folks with various patches.
It means other folks will have to take a more active role in patch
review, approval, installation, and other tasks (which is a good thing
to encourage anyway).

Probably the first thing to do is get us an updated patch.  Don't forget
to include a ChangeLog entry (I didn't find one in the patch you sent
just over a year ago).

jeff