IRIX 6.x issues

I have successfully built 980816 on IRIX 6.2 with the 6.2 (not MIPSPro)
compiler[1].

There are a couple of things about egcs and IRIX 6.x I hope somebody has
some time to comment on (in the meantime I'm looking at the source :-)

1. The mabi=32 format (o32 in SGI terminology) is not supported
2. The mabi=64 format does not support mips3 (even when -mips3 is specified
   it generates mips4)

The first is a half-killer for me.  The second is a full-killer, because
it means that egcs cannot be used to create 64-bit applications on
Challenge-L/XL servers, as they use r4400 chips (mips4 is r5000/8000/10000).
Or, rather, they can be created but they cannot be executed.

Could somebody comment on how hard it would be to fix these?  So far I've
seen code and comments in gcc/config/mips.c that disables mabi=32.  Looks
like it's just not there yet?  It does generate mabi=32 code on IRIX 5.3
I'm sure, so naively one could think it should be all there somewhere..
(gcc 2.7.2 generates it ok on 6.2 too)

Equally naively one could think it should be possible to do mabi=64 with
mips3 code, as it can do mips3 for n32.  But then again it's a different
format and the reality is probably not quite that simple I guess..

Thanks for your time,
Tor
--
[1] PS, here's one for the FAQ or maybe the build instructions:
To bootstrap with the SGI 6.2 compilers (not the MIPSPro 7.x compilers)

The default is to bootstrap the first stage with cc -n32, and that is
just plain broken on the 6.2 compilers (they are good -o32 compilers though).
This results in a broken stage1/xgcc which then miscompiles cpp, and boom.
The above configure command works fine.