Re: Succeeded with Alpha+19980803, some feedback

At 11:06 AM 8/17/98 -0600, you wrote:
>What references to /usr/local exist in your gcc Makefiles?

I've hunted around, and the only interesting use I could find
(ie: perform a search via find+grep and ignore documentation
files and source files that mention /usr/local) was in
$objdir/gcc/Makefile, line# 262:

   local_prefix = /usr/local

which gets used in $objdir/gcc/Makefile, line# 278:

   includedir= $(local_prefix)/include

which is then used in the attempt to create the directory
in line# 3402.  There is no /usr/local/include directory
on the Alpha I'm working on, so the test beginning

  "-if [ -d $(includedir) ] ..."

would fail, causing the Makefile to try and create a
directory that it won't be using.   I haven't found any other
use of this make variable except to be passed as the
LOCAL_INCLUDE_DIR to the builds of tools like protoize
and cpp (which makes sense, as long as those tools are
written not to care that the directory doesn't exist).
Probably its just the attempt to create the directory that
is bogus (and it fails without aborting the Makefile anyways),
and there is no other particular misbehaviour.

>absolutely sure you use --prefix=<something>?  Could you have typo'd
>the argument?
> You can look at config.status in the gcc subdir to
>find out exactly how your configured the compiler.
>jeff

Checking the history in bash confirms it.  The location where files
were put during the build confirms it.  The location where files
were installed confirms it. $objdir/gcc/config.status confirms it.
The fact that I use some aliases to automate all this and thus
reduce the likelihood of typos helps to confirm it.  Probably some
uncounted number of angels dancing on the head of a pin would
confirm it if I asked them to real nice-like.  :-)

= Reid M. Pinchback                                =
= I/T Delivery, MIT                                =
= Email:   reidmp@mit.edu                          =