Succeeded with Alpha+19980803, some feedback

I finally succeeded at getting a complete build
on a Dec Alpha (alpha-dec-osf4.0d), doing a
"configure --with-stabs --prefix=$LOC" and a
"make bootstrap" followed by "make install".
Here is what I found:

1. This build requires you to use Gnu make.  You
   can't use the OSF make.  This is new; the OSF
   make was fine for gcc-2.8.x builds and was also
   fine for the egcs-1.0.3a build.  Since this is
   a new situation, I'd suggest that a comment
   suggesting use of Gnu make be placed in the
   egcs installation notes.

2. For some reason "make install" is trying to
   put something in /usr/local (and failing,
   since I'm not running as root).  I find this
   odd given the configure options I used.
   I'm not sure yet what or why; I'll pass along
   more details if/when I figure it out.

3. I ran dejagnu-980528 on the result of this
   egcs build; it spotted a couple of things that
   unexpectedly failed and many that unexpectedly
   succeeded.  I haven't used dejagnu before, so
   once I figure out how to tease out some specific
   details, I'll pass them along.

Now I can actually get down to seeing if the new g++
can do anything interesting!  :-)

= Reid M. Pinchback                                =
= I/T Delivery, MIT                                =
= Email:   reidmp@mit.edu                          =