Re: CVS using a proxy ?

Eric NICOLAS <nicolas@bnp-eng.remcomp.com> writes:
> I really would like to follow egcs 1.1 branch update using CVS, but
> I work behind a proxy. Do you know if there is CVS client that allow
> proxy connection ?? (I think standard cvs 1.9 do not).
>
> Eric.

(This is not strictly an egcs issue, but I believe enough people use CVS that
 a CC to egcs is called for.  Maybe a patch to
 <URL:http://egcs.cygnus.com/cvs.html> would be in order?)

Check <URL:http://www.cyclic.com/cyclic-pages/security.html>, where such
issues for CVS are introduced, but avoid the patch for "socks" found in that
vicinity.  For more about socks, see <URL:http://www.socks.nec.com>.

 I'm using a "socks"ified cvs-client (socks5 and cvs 1.9.16, intel-linux,
but that shouldn't be important), and did as follows:

 You need to install the client side of socks (at least the library) on your
machine, (and your sysadmin needs to set up a socks server on a gateway
machine :-)

 The socks server needs to be opened up for tcp-port 2401, either generally or
just to egcs.cygnus.com), and you need to get a correct /etc/libsocks5.conf
from your sysadmin.

** You don't need to patch cvs at all: just add "-lsocks5_sh" to the LIBS
** variable (like in "make LIBS=-lsocks5_sh") when you make the cvs client.

(To the CVS developers mentioned on the socks-related cvs devel pages --
 no, I'm not on devel-cvs@cyclic.com:
  Maybe the presence of socks could be  detected with an autoconf rule,
 supported by a --with-socks to configure?  It's not on your (cvs)web.)

brgds, H-P
--
Hans-Peter Nilsson, Axis Communications AB, S - 223 70 LUND, SWEDEN
Hans-Peter.Nilsson@axis.se | http://www.axis.se/ | Tel +46 462701867,2701800