Power of the G++ test suite

Hello there,

I think there are about 2,000 files in the G++ test suite.

I've just been having a look at the Plum Hall web site. They
make commercial C++ test suites.

They make the claim there that the 1995 version of C++, without its
library, requires 3000 test cases to test for minimal language conformance.
They say their language test suite has 4700 tests.

Given that the language has moved on since 1995, and Plum Hall don't say
anything about how many test cases are required to test the library,
then can anyone at Cygnus, or anywhere else, comment on the power of
the G++ test suite, as it currently stands ?

It would seem to me, from Plum Hall's web site, and judging the
size of the ARM and the C++ working paper, that something possibly over
6,000 test cases are required before language conformance can
be successfully claimed.

Of course, a working C++ compiler is far more than something that
passes a C++ test suite. But it is a minimum.

Regards

David C Binderman MSc BSc	+44 1293 534847		dcb@pncl.co.uk