Re: Debugging flags

On Fri, 26 June 1998, 15:57:24, Daniel.Egger@t-online.de wrote:

 > On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
 >
 > >$ env CC="{your_preferred_C_compiler}" CFLAGS="-O2" LDFLAGS=-s \
 > >  ${path_to_egcs_directory}/configure ...
 >
 > >and then simply call:
 >
 > >$ make bootstrap; make check; make install
 >
 >  Guess what.... it won't work the way you believe it to do ... why? Because

Sure it does work! Have you actually looked at the generated toplevel Makefile's
CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS? They contain what you've been using at configure time and, since
they are passed down via BASE_FLAGS_TO_PASS, each submake will use them, although
their Makefile might contain different flags.

 >  there are hardcoded -g's which  won't get substituted. I'm trying to make
 >  the whole process more consistent. That means we should use the same
 >  mechanisms all over the tree. At the moment it's a whole chaos....

Not, if you were working as suggested above.

 > >It's  really that simple.  And, don't omit  `-g' from CXXFLAGS as this
 > >will prevent you   from being able   to  use your   favourite debugger
 > >looking at  C++ objects whose type definitions  originate from  one of
 > >those C++ libs.
 >
 >  I seldom use debuggers to debug egcs. And if I intend to do so I'll compile
 >  it completely with debugging. For normal programs I don't need a debugable
 >  libstdc++.....
 >
 > > [patch removed as it is not necessary]
 >
 >  It may be not necessary but it would clarify things,,,,
 >
 > --
 >
 > Servus,
 >        Daniel

manfred