Re: libstdc++ soname in egcs 1.1 and 1.0.3

On Fri, 26 June 1998, 11:48:40, Franz.Sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com wrote:

 > At 07:18 26.06.98 , Manfred Hollstein wrote:

 > > > Leaving it at 2.8.0 is definitely, positively, wrong.
 > > >
 > > > But bumping it to 2.9.0 could still cause compilation
 > > > with gcc-2.8.x to use it too.
 > > > You still can only have one libstdc++.so symbolic link;
 > > > so every time you switch compiler you need to change
 > > > that link, right?.  I am not sure if that is the same
 > > > problem though :)
 > >
 > >Fortunately, we now have the new flag
 > `--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs',
 > >which installs libstdc++.{a,so*,sl*} and its include files in the
 > >compiler specific subdirectory named by the make macro "$(libsubdir)".
 >
 > Hmm, two questions (I'm no shared lib expert):
 > - would it harm anything if the libraries got always installed in eg.
 > /usr/lib _and_ $(libsuddir)? So one would have at least a reference copy
 > available
 > - is linking from /usr/lib to $(libsubdir) ok?

If you're only interested in Linux, then yes, as long as _only_ the
real file libstdc++.so.x.y.z (and not libstdc++.so) is linked.
But, on SunOS this would fail, because the bloody ld.so there
will always happily use the lib with the highest version number :-(

 > I wonder what's the best thing to do on Linux, since I also could modify
 > /etc/ld.so.conf on the fly and add $(libsubdir) while installing the RPM.

For me defining LD_RUN_PATH at linktime seems to be the best solution.

 > Franz.

manfred