Re: string is const char [] ?

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 03:07:30PM +0200, Kamil Iskra wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you know the standard far better than I do,
> but are you SURE that it disallows this initialisation syntax?

For non-constant static or file-scope variables, the "" form is
legal.  For automatic variables, it is not.

> I find it
> hard to believe, since first, I think this syntax is very common (at least
> I use it quite often), and second, this syntax is fine in C,

Well, gcc provides the "" form for automatic variables as an extension.
I wish it did not, for I often find folks initializing things at runtime
taking up hordes of .text space, when they weren't intending to.

The correct solution to init auto variables is this little-known
function called strcpy.

r~