Re: ix86 double alignment (was Re: egcs-1.1 release schedule)

  In message <rzqd8byol2i.fsf@djlvig.dl.ac.uk>you write:

  >  Craig> My current assumption is we are shooting for only 8-byte
  >  Craig> alignment of the stack frame to obtain 8-byte alignment of
  >  Craig> doubles within the frame.  I think crt0 (or whatever) already
  >  Craig> assures this, but don't know for sure about that or whether it
  >  Craig> further assures 16-byte or 32-byte alignment.
  >
  > glibc2 does 8-byte alignment, Linux libc5 only does 4-byte (or did in
  > the last version I checked, but seemed easy to change); likewise
  > DJGPP.  I can't remember the story on Cygwin -- is that glibc2-based?
  > No info on x86 Solaris et al.
While these are important (since you have to know what alignment you
were initially given), the bigger issue is keeping the proper alignment
in the compiler itself.  That's the real work here :-0

jeff