Re: Alpha optimization

On Mon, Jun 22, 1998 at 07:41:20PM -0700, B. James Phillippe wrote:
> 	Does egcs generate better AXP code or have AXP-specific
> optimizations not found in gcc-2.7?

EGCS 1.0.x primarily contains bug fixes for the Alpha.  In the
development code destined to be EGCS 1.1, we have quite a number
of new optimizations.  Off the top of my head:

  * Tuned for the Haifa scheduler.
  * Better use of the byte manipulation insns.
  * Sane unaligned load/store sequences.
  * Optimal or near-optimal builtin memcpy/memset expansion.
  * Scheduling of the prologue/epilogue.

These are the exclusively Alpha-specific bits.  The EGCS web page
should have bits about other new general optimizations.

r~